Saturday, October 10, 2015

giving back

I have lived on PEI for 21 years, but it took a Newcomer to take me on my first clam digging adventure.  She is a recent immigrant from China, and loves to forage for wild food.  We went to Tea Hill Park in Stratford.  Cross the Hillsboro Bridge, turn left at the first light, and drive a long way until you see Tea Hill Park on the right.  And there is the sparkling water, and miles of flat sand.  Go at low tide, and you will be competing with blue herons and sea gulls to find shellfish.


Along the shore are lots of tiny creatures.
I have rarely seen a live crab.  This guy had plenty of spunk.
This is what we were looking for - quahogs or clams.  They hide in the sand and squirt water when threatened.  We picked a bucket full in no time, and she showed me how to pop open the shell, clean off the black stuff around the edge, pry it out of the shell, blanch it quickly and eat with soy sauce.



I kept the bucket in the fridge overnight.  And I decided to cop out.  I would be happy to eat the clams after they are prepared and cooked, but there is no way I am killing them myself.  The next day, Wayne and I drove the bucket back to tea hill, and dropped them gently back into the water.  There were other people on the beach,and I'm thinking the clams would soon be picked up by someone else.
this blue heron is looking for his next meal.



back in the water, at least for now.

1 comment:

I love hearing from other bloggers!