Wednesday, January 31, 2018

gardening in winter


My second cousin sent me pictures of snowdrops already blooming in Germany.  So lovely!

But here in eastern Canada, although we have had many thaws and the snow has dissappeared so many times this winter, snowstorms have always followed.
Mountain ash berries covered with snow
With the grey skies and freezing weather, I'm getting restless, and I need to get my hands dirty.
I have repotted and divided my rampant aloe vera plants and another little succulent that has cloned itself madly, and I have watched my indoor flowers come to life.

I have coaxed my 5-year old orchid to re-bloom by filling the pot with fertilized water once a week, soaking 20 minutes, and then draining it.


I have a huge old Christmas cactus that blooms faithfully 4 times a year between Thanksgiving and spring, and then takes a well-deserved rest for the summer.  The plant is easy to propagate, and the daughters of the original plant are just as eager to bloom.

Yesterday my husband brought me a package of 3 different types of blight resistant tomato seeds.  I will wait until 8 weeks before the last frost (here that would be about April 10), and then plant them inside.  I'm looking forward to getting dirt under my fingernails!


4 comments:

  1. Hi. I've been reading all your posts, very informative, thank you! If you sow tomatoes indoors on Apr.10, 8 weeks before our last frost, that would put our last frost date at Jun.5 right? I know this is an approximation. I'm asking because I've been trying to find PEI'S average last frost date and sources keep telling me it's somewhere between May 11th and 20th. This seemed awfully early to me. Just wondering your thoughts on that? Also, I'm a rookie gardener for sure, this will be my 4th year and my second year in containers, and I'm wondering about starting beans indoors, as well as everything else. Again I get mixed reviews when googling this. Is there anything I definitely should not start indoors? I only had 2 containers last year as I wasn't sure how it would go. But it went so well that I want to expand this year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially about starting seeds indoors. I don't trust advice from people who don't know our climate. There's just something about someone who's here and knows our soil and climate! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lacy. The last frost date is after the new moon in June. This year it's June 13. Don't start beans inside. Wait till the ground is warm (after June 13) and plant directly in the ground. Soak beans for a few hours first. I am teaching an 8-week gardening course for Seniors college starting April 6. You don't really have to be old to join! If you want to get in touch, my email is heidiriley1957@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Seeds to start inside: tomato (8 weeks before last frost), pepper (12 weeks), squash (4 weeks), eggplant (8 weeks), lettuce (optional - 4 weeks) most flowers.

      Delete
  2. I like that picture of your house in a white world with the red berries. And the "still life" pics inside the house. Everything looks so hushed and still...waiting for Spring!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other bloggers!