Thursday, July 30, 2020

milkweed from Ingrid

















For years, my cousin Ingrid gathered milkweed seeds close to her home in Kitchener, Ontario, and sent them to me here on Prince Edward Island.  I planted the seeds faithfully in a sunny bed, but they didn't grow. 
In December 2013 Ingrid died of undetermined causes.  She seemed perfectly healthy.  Being three months younger than me, it was a terrible shock.  The following spring, a surprising thing happened.  A single milkweed plant pushed to the surface, followed by many more over the years.  They even pop up in the lawn, but I'm ok with that.  I feel like Ingrid is giving me a wave, from wherever she is.

Milkweed is the favourite food of Monarch butterflies.  They have not found this patch as yet, but I'm always on the lookout for a striped green, black and white caterpillar.  I hope Ingrid will send some when she is ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!