Wednesday, July 26, 2023

baby mourning doves

I was walking past the raspberry patch when I saw two little grey heads poking out from between the leaves.  Two half-grown mourning doves sitting very still.


They were almost full size, but obviously not ready to take off into the sky.  It is a very vulnerable time for the birds after they outgrow the nest and learn how to forage for themselves.  I'm sure the parents were around somewhere, gathering food for their brood.

Meanwhile, the chicks' best protection is their grey camophlage and their very slow movements.  

Mourning doves eat seeds, and like to eat from the ground or a platform, not from a feeder.  They like millet, but will eat black oil sunflower seeds too.  They are very gentle and unagressive, and are always welcome at my feeder.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!