Monday, September 6, 2010

The hurricane that was a "hurri-can't"


"Hurri-can't" - my son Tristan's word for what happened on PEI on Saturday. We were warned days in advance that Hurricane Earl was on its way. Hour by hour, minute by minute, media updates flooded in. We were hyped up about this one. We secured flower pots, patio furniture, anything that could become a flying missile. When the storm blew in on Saturday, there was heavy wind and hard rain. Some branches broke free, but here's the extent of the damage in my back yard: a trellis with such a high centre of gravity that it falls down regularly. The roses and honeysuckle must be quite dizzy. The bush the trellis fell on is a mock orange that despite my best efforts has never bloomed in the 10 years it's been there.
I took a short walk through the back fields to the Vesey's Seeds trial gardens. The corn was flattened and the sunflowers were down, but that was the extent of the damage. I should be grateful that it wasn't worse, but sometimes we just crave a bit of excitement.

Here is a downed branch with some very interesting fungus attached. It gave me a new perspective on what could be happening just over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!