Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sour grapes II: What's eating Heidi's grapes?

Last year, my grapes were reduced to twigs before I had a chance to eat them. I blamed the bluejays. This year, I did everything right. I draped fine netting over the vines and tucked in the ends so the birds couldn't get close. And yet this happened:
Many of the bunches were reduced to partial skeletons. I decided to look closer, and discovered a great many grapes on the ground under the vine. It wasn't the bluejays after all - the grapes ripened and dropped by themselves. I pulled off the useless netting and picked a surprizing amount of fruit - over 4 pounds! They are safely tucked in a bag in the fridge, and I'll be enjoying them for quite a while. Sorry about playing the blame game, jays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!