Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tomato strategy

I have a bumper crop of Roma tomatos this year, but they are taking longer to ripen than they should. That's because I planted them way too close together, and they are not getting the sun and air circulation they need. I should know better, and I hope next year I will plant smarter. I always try to cram too much into my 20 x 50 foot plot. At this time of year, the beans, which were also planted too close together, are crowded right beside the tomatos. The rest of the garden is bare because it's all been harvested. Next year, I swear to forget about planting peas. They take up a lot of space for a small return (but they're so good!). I will plant things further apart so they will ripen more evenly and be easier to pick.
When I harvest my tomatoes, I pick everything with even a hint of red, and let them ripen inside on a windowsill. Why don't I let them ripen on the vine?
Check this out. My ripe tomatos have been hit by late blight, rotted on the ground, or chewed and hollowed out by slugs. Underripe tomatos redden up quickly in the warmth of the house, and it beats the alternative of leaving them to fend for themselves in the wilds of the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!