Thursday, February 3, 2011

more winter birds

This morning I was having breakfast when I heard a loud bang. I looked up to see a blue jay had just beat its wings against the window and was perched on the rail of the deck, his beady eye staring straight at me. I got the message loud and clear: get outside, clear off this snow, and feed us birds!
A 50-pound bag of black oil sunflower seeds is $30, and I just bought the second one this winter. Also, suet is $2 a block, and the winged wonders have munched though at least 10 so far this winter. And I won't even mention what I have spent on bird feeders. Luckily,birds don't charge a fee to pose for pictures!
Here's a lovely mourning dove.

Here's a jittery little dark-eyed junco. These little cuties seem to be almost completely round, with a grey top and white bottom.











Taking pictures of downy woodpeckers is such a challenge.
I've taken lots of pictures of them over the past few years, and the shots are always out of focus. But I'll keep trying!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi,
    You got some nice shots! I find it hard to get clear shots as they seem to move off by the time I focus.

    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing with birds - they don't stay still very long but you got some really nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi,
    I've just spend some time going through your posts and have to say what a wonderful blog site you have started. I too love to garden and it looks like we seem to have planted the same veggies. Thanks for the info on the carrots. We also have seen this type of damage and never really knew what caused it. The writing spider is actually very beautiful once you get over the fear of it.
    Sounds as if you live close to Vesey's which is my favorite seed company. Their test gardens are the best.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other bloggers!