Friday, July 29, 2016

convincing an orchid to rebloom


I bought this orchid 3 years ago, when it was blooming beautifully.  Pale green petals, and a deep pink centre.  It bloomed for months, and when it finally quit, I waited patiently for it to bloom again.  I watered it with a quarter cup of water once a week like the books said - but nothing.  I moved it around the room to new locations it might like - nothing.

Then a maintenance man where I work bragged about his wife's reblooming orchids, and let me know the secret:  Once a week, fill the entire pot with water, wait 20 minutes, and then take out the plant in its inner plastic pot and dump out all the water.  I was willing to try anything.



Within 3 weeks, success!

Notice the difference between the air roots (pale green, blunt end) and the flower shoot (shiny dark green, with tiny buds at the end.)
I was pretty excited, but still looking for just the perfect location for the plant.  It was close to a south-facing window, and the leaves burned.  I moved it away from the window, but the leaves pointing away from the light curled up and the leaves facing the light stretched out.  I took it home and put it in an east window - more burned leaves.  I felt like a bad mother.

Then I found the right spot.  With bright indirect light coming from two sides, under a thriving spider plant, atop a shelf that looks like a waiter's arm.  Success!


2 comments:

  1. Hey Heidi,
    I always enjoy checking out your blog, as you always have such interesting photos and useful information.
    I ordered some 200 Hollyhock seeds from Vesey's and I expect they will be at the post office tomorrow, I intend to plant them asap, how do you suppose they will do before the frost? I don't expect them to bloom, but hope it will give them a grounding start for a blooming show next summer. :)
    Take care,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Pat
      I'm glad your garden is doing well! Just scatter the seeds at the time of year when the plant would normally be dropping seed - between now and the end of September. Put them where you want them to grow, because they don't really like being moved. They most likely need to go through a heavy frost (winter) before they germinate next spring.

      Delete

I love hearing from other bloggers!