Monday, July 25, 2016

plenty of poppies

Poppies come in a huge number of varieties, and they look so different, it's amazing they are from the same family.  There are annuals, perennials, lots of colours, hairy or smooth. And the leaves are completely different.
Here's what pops up in my garden:
The first arrival is the Oriental poppy.  Each flower lasts only two days, but the delicate wrinkled petals are just beautiful.  Above is Patty's Plum, and I also have the more common orange one.  It's a tough perennial.  After the blooms are done, I cut the plant right down to the ground, because they can become a magnet for earwigs.  But by August, a new, fresh ball of leaves appear, gathering food for next year's blooms.  The leaves look very much like thistles - long and pointed, but with hairs instead of bristles.

I planted one Islandic poppy many years ago, and it has produced seeds so prolifically that it pops up all over my garden since then.  I try to keep the seed heads deadheaded, but I always miss some, which produce enough seeds for next year.  The leaves are very dainty and small.

This California poppy was part of a bee-friendly seed mix free from Vesey's seeds.  The leaves look almost like dill.

This beautiful pale pink annual poppy popped up in the vegetable garden.  Years ago, I snitched a ripe pod from a daylily garden, dropped the seeds around my garden, and only now have conditions been right for it to sprout.  The leaves are bluish green and ruffled.

1 comment:

  1. Haha...very entertaining to hear about your snitching!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other bloggers!