Thursday, October 28, 2021

early October colours

 

It may be fall, but the perennial plants are not saying goodby just yet. Some of the most vibrant colours are on display right now.  This hardy hibiscus produces massive flowers from big clusters of buds on plants about 3 feet high.  These plants like a sunny spot, a drink of water during dry periods, and your full attention when they are blooming.  As one flower fades, another takes its place.  I leave the tall, tough stalks standing all winter, and cut them to the ground in spring.  They are very slow to get started in the spring, but it's worth the wait.

Staghorn sumac is the first to change colour.

Hardy Geranium (also called cranesbill for the pointy seedpods) started blooming in June, and is still producing new flowers.  











New England Aster grows wild all over the garden.  It has really thrived since I stopped pulling out the seedlings, which I mistook for weeds!  

Bees love these flowers, which provide nectar at a time of the year when most flowers are finished.








Maiden grass has grown from a tiny tuft purchased 5 years ago to a huge clump too solid to separate into smaller pieces.  Ah well, it sure is lovely blowing in the wind all winter.






Monkshood is a tall perennial with deep purple flowers.  They look a bit like pea flowers, with a hood over the top.  Every part of this plant is poisonous, so I don't touch it, but I do enjoy those deep purples.









This rose starts to bloom in yellow, and then gets more spotted and dappled as time goes by.

The plant was purchased as a mini rose in a small pot at a grocery store.  It does not like living in a small pot, and will soon dry out and lose its leaves, but planted it the ground it will be happy for many years.








Rudbeckia (black-eyed susan) blooms from July to October.

It also self-seeds and spreads to unexpected places in my garden.  I assume the seeds stick to my shovel or clothing and drop off and get started without any help from me.  

After the petals fall off, the seeds dry and persist all winter.  They are a great source of food for small birds like chickadees and juncos.

In spring, I cut them all back and wait for the next display!




Below is a colour I definitely do not like.

Mildew has hit this poor bee balm.  I need to cut it low to the ground and dispose of the leaves in the garbage.  The fungus spores are air-borne and can affect other plants too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!