Friday, October 1, 2021

putting wild apples to good use

 The wild apple trees in my yard have produced a bumper crop this year.  I am so thrilled by this gift from nature - I need to respect the gift and make something of it.




The apples have never been sprayed, so there are a few blemishes and creepy crawlies, including ants and a slug, but they are easily cut out.

I take out the core, but I don't peel the apples.






It does not take long to make a pot of cut up apples.

I add two cups of water to these 12 cups of apples, and boil gently, stirring occasinally, until very soft - about 20 minutes.









Here is my secret weapon for separating the peels and making great sauce - a very low-tech food mill.  My mom used one just like it 50 years ago.





As the crank turns, the apples are pressed down and through the holes in the strainer, leaving the peels behind.  Then I just add cinnamon and brown sugar and a bit of lemon juice and rind, and I have the best apple sauce ever!  





I added some brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, and canned a few jars of sauce.  I also froze some.  Now we can have delicious applesauce all winter!






I also made apple jelly for the first time.  I set up a jelly bag, poured the cooked apples into the bag, and let it sit overnight. 

Then I poured the juice into a big pot, added the juice of a lemon and a bag of Jam and Jelly Mix, and boil 4 minutes, take off the heat and stir 5 minutes, and then ladle into canning jars. I bring the lids to a boil, carefully wipe the jar rims, and set the lids on , and add the screw top.  It is important to carefully set the jars down and not disturb them for 24 hours.  The sound of the jars popping, which means they are sealed, is so reassuring!

The pinker colour in the top jar comes from adding a few rose hips to that batch.  









I use Lantic jam and jelly mix, which is a combo of super fine sugar and pectin, and carefully follow the directions.  It works very well with jam, even though I use more fruit than the directions call for.  But jelly is a bit more fussy.  

Unfortunately, my first batch of jelly came out really watery, so I had to dump all the jars and cook it again - and then it turned out too rubbery!  

For my next batch, I cooked the jelly 2 minutes longer than recommended - 6 minutes instead of 4.  It turned out perfect!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!