Monday, February 14, 2011

woodpeckers











I have always had trouble taking a decent picture of the woodpeckers that occasionally visit my feeders. They move really fast, and don't take kindly to posing for me. But this Sunday was different. The sun was shining, it was really cold, and these two paid an extended visit and didn't care who was looking.




I finally know why this species is called the "downy" woodpecker. At the base of the bill is a frill of fluffy feathers. Maybe the purpose is to protect the eyes from flying bits of wood when it is drilling a hole in a tree.

















This guy was pecking the table to liberate sunflower seeds frozen in the ice, and ended up with ice in the down around his beak.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!