Tuesday, August 16, 2011

giving up the fight

The lily beetles have won.
This spring, I had a brain wave. Why not try sprinkling spent coffee grounds on my emerging lilies to kep the beetles at bay? And it worked. Numbers went down about 90 percent.
But then I went away on vacation, and when I got back, this is what I found. The plants were totally devastated. Every green leaf was grey and dry, and the flower buds obviously were never going to open.
So - I give up. Even though I hate punishing the victim, I pulled out all the lilies, and I won't be growing any more in the future. I've been told that everything is cyclical, and that any population will swell and then crash. Let's hope that happens with this red menace.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!