Tuesday, June 26, 2012

free mulch

Most people who would encounter a beautiful view like this would be thinking sublime thoughts of the beauty and serenity of nature.  Being a gardener, I immediately thought:  free mulch.  This is Lord Selkirk Provincial Park in eastern Prince Edward Island.  It is a very shallow bay.  At high tide, huge amounts of eel grass, a finely-cut seaweed, is washed ashore.  At low tide, it's free for the picking. 
Eel grass is ideal for mulch.  Compared to purchased mulch like shredded bark or wood chips, it decomposes much more slowly, and it adds nutrients to the soil while wood chips rob the soil of nitrogen as it decomposes.  And did I mention it was free? 
I actually did stop to appreciate the fresh air, the blue sky, the red cliffs, and the blue herons chasing fish in the shallows.  And then I snagged 6 bags of eel grass and headed home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!