Tuesday, April 30, 2013

comings and goings

It's the time of year for big changes.  Time to clean up the remnants of the winter, including the bird feeders, and time to notice all the plants springing to life.


Every year, a single perfect red tulip pops up in the corner by my front door.  The rest of the tulips I planted at the same time have long since petered out, but this guy is the gift that keeps on giving!


I have to get right down on my knees to fully appreciate the scent of these hyacinths, but it is definitely worth the effort.  They have been growing here for a long time, and seem to get smaller every year, but the scent is as great as ever.


I'm blaming the racoons for the attack on the bird feeder.  Every feeder I have has taped up repairs where the racoons have broken the plastic holding in the bird seed.  After this incident, I came out to find a bundle of feathers and unidentifiable body parts scattered on the deck, and I knew our cat Whitey had made a kill.  That made me realize it was time to put away the bird feeders and sweep away the excess seeds and scrub off the bird poop streaking the chairs, tables, and railings.  Now I can sit outside without being grossed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!