Monday, October 21, 2013

Annapolis Royal Historic Gardens

dreaming of roses at Annapolis Royal
On Thanksgiving weekend, I was feeling a bit left out of things because our family is spread so far and wide. So I put the pressure on my husband Wayne to do a bit of traveling ourselves.  I have always wanted to visit the historic gardens at Annapolis Royal.  But looking at a map, I also realized that it's 500 km from home. The weather was beautiful and sunny, so off we drove.  These pictures are all by Wayne.  I forgot my camera at home!

I had never visited the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia, and I could not believe how beautiful it is.  The blazing colours of the fall leaves, bright blue sky, historic villages, wineries, roadside markets - what's not to love!


In Wolfville, we stopped at the beautiful Blomidon Inn, beautiful architecture, chock-full of antiques, expansive gardens, and alas, no room for us for lunch.  I definitely will be back to do it right.

Our next stop was Kentville, whose claim to fame is the pumpkin people put up all over town.  Kentville has an Agriculture Canada research station where anyone can wander around the grounds.  I want to go back to see the rhododendrons bloom in spring.


Another hundred kilometers, and we finally made it to Annapolis Royal, and the historic gardens there.  For just $10, you can wander through 17 acres of manicured walking paths, and check out the many flowers still blooming.


A bumble bee gets the season's last nectar from a zinnia

I've never seen a toad lily before.  It has a confusing name:  it's not a lily, and looks nothing like a toad!



a boardwalk winds through the garden

one of many gazebos covered in vines




The garden lies right along an old Acadian dyke system built 300 years ago to keep the waters of the Atlantic from flooding low-lying fields along the coast.  We walked along the sweeping curves of the dyke, which is still in place, doing its job.


I will definitely be back in the spring to check out the season's changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!