Monday, March 30, 2015

repotting

This meyer lemon tree is beginning to leaf out, after spending the winter looking like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree - down to sticks.  I'm thinking it needs a boost, so I am going to transplant it and give it new soil.  I popped it out of the pot to check the roots, which are not very extensive, so I will not move it to a larger pot.  I'm just going to change the soil.  I'm using purchased potting soil, not the stuff from the garden, which is too heavy and full of disease and weed seeds.  One time I didn't follow my own advice and dug soil from my vegetable garden to use in pots, and I ended up with a whole pot full of tiny tomato seedlings that had been hiding in the garden!
I'm going to mix the soil with worm castings (worm poop) which is rich in nutrients.
I'm hoping the tree rewards my efforts with another nice crop of Meyer lemons.  Last year, it produced 5 beautiful, delicious fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!