Wednesday, March 22, 2017

recycled amaryllis

Last year, I bought two amaryllis bulbs that bloomed beautifully months after Christmas.  I couldn't bear to throw them out, as I do other years.  A woman in one of my gardening classes said that she leaves them on her widowsill year-round, and they bloom every year.  So I decided to follow her advice.  I gave them almost no water during the summer, and obviously, they thrive on neglect.

The bulbs became even dryer and more papery their second year.

This one has formed a bulblet under the soil and put out its own leaf.  This will eventually become a full-sized bulb.

Notice that the red and white plant has put out a second stalk, so there will be flowers for weeks to come.

It's the second week of March, a strange time for these amaryllis to be in full bloom, but there you have it!

I will save the bulbs again, and see what happens next year.


This last burst is the second stalk, which was just a bud in the last shot.  And behind is the spent flower from the first stalk.
This bulb has given me a lovely surprise, with so little effort on my part!











A close up of the knobby seed heads

1 comment:

  1. Right...all you need is a depressing window sill somewhere that won't mind "dead" stuff for months of the year!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other bloggers!