Tuesday, July 3, 2018

iridescent irises

Irises are my favourite flower.  Even though each flower lasts little more than a day, the colours and varieties are fantastic, and they are all blooming at once in my garden right now.
bearded iris
Russet bearded iris


Japanese iris
Siberian iris is much more dainty
Bearded German iris blooms from ryzomes that live for many years and spread gradually

Dutch iris blooms from bulbs planted in fall.
They don't spread and rarely survive a second winter in my garden.

1 comment:

  1. Heidi, do you pop the dead heads off regularly? I've got an overgrown patch and they just look so yucky with the deads on them. Also, any advice for thinning out my overgrown patch? The tuberous roots are right at the surface of the soil and are so impacted that they are like concrete!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other bloggers!