Sunday, September 29, 2019

garbage

On this week of global climate change protests, I should be proud of the fact that people are finally waking up and realizing that our natural world is in trouble.  But it is easy to march in a parade and wave a sign.  What are people actually doing to make the world a cleaner place?  Do they walk the walk, or just talk the talk?
Yesterday was a beautiful day for a walk on the shore.  I went to my favourite spot, a wooden bench with steps down to the shore in Stanhope, PEI.  I planned to sit for a while and look out at the lovely sea view, the blue herons and seagulls. 

But at the top of the stairs near the road I found a blue bag half full of dirty beer bottles and cans.  Who would do that?  I saw more cans glinting in the sun, so I walked down the steps and collected more beer cans and pop cans filled with seaweed.  I also found shiny foil candy wrappers, styrofoam from broken buoys, a piece of rope and netting from fishing gear, a Purina feed bag, plastic strapping, and half a for sale sign.

Humans are not good stewards of our beautiful planet, and I don't think that will ever change.  People do not want to be inconvenienced if it means doing the right thing.  They don't want to take that extra step of putting garbage in a place where it won't end up damaging our world.

This is the view I want to keep pristine - eelgrass protecting a sensitive sandy shoreline from erosion.

This wild rose gives me a bit of hope.  It has pushed its way through an opening in the wood.  It shows that nature is resilient and can repair human damage if given a chance..
The earth has survived multiple extinctions and has brought forth new life over and over again.  I hope it can do so again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!