Friday, June 15, 2018

cold effects

The east coast of Canada has suffered such a cold June.  A period of warm weather encouraged strawberries, blueberries and grapes to flower, only to be damaged by frost.  These strawberry flowers should be greenish yellow in the centre, but most are blackened.  Those flowers will never produce fruit.  



Because of the cold, I was afraid to plant out my tomato and pepper seedlings.  But most were over two feet tall, and I was tired of taking them inside and outside every day.  So I made a decision on a beautiful day on June 12.  The weather had finally warmed up, but it was really windy, and my little plants were really beaten up as I set them in the ground.

After putting cages around each plant, I wrapped the entire plot with row cover, secured the cloth with clothes pins, and packed seaweed around the bottom to keep out the wind and the cold.
I ran out of row cover, and patched up the holes with plastic bags.
The next day I checked on the plants, and they seem really cosy.  They are standing up straight, and have no damage.  It has been really cold overnight - 5 degrees C - but the row cover tent has done the trick, and I will leave it in place for the foreseeable future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!