Tuesday, June 19, 2018

egg shells

Calcium is really good for plants.  And egg shells are a great source of calcium.  I save the egg shells, crush them down, and then when I have lots, I haul out a small food processor and turn the pieces into crumbs.
I put a handful into the bottom of each hole when planting tomatoes.  Enough calcium plus enough water prevents blossom end rot.
I scatter the rest of the egg shells all over my vegetable and flower beds.  The sharp edges damage the bodies of any slug or bug that dares get too close to my precious plants.  I'm hoping this will scare away the cutworms that usually shear off many of my newly emerging beans every year.
My beans have been planted and are waiting to emerge.  The green sprouts in this bed are dill volunteers.  I hope they will all get along and grow well together!

1 comment:

I love hearing from other bloggers!