Thursday, June 7, 2018

indoor garden

Potted succulent gardens seem to be all the rage at the moment. 
I became quite enthused as well, but the ones available for sale were kinda small, so I decided to build my own.

Now I know why the ones for sale are small. With the weight of the terracotta bowl and saucer, this one I made is really heavy. 
But I don't plan to move it anytime soon, just turn it occasionaly so that the plants don't lean towards the window.

In Charlottetown, I find the best plants at Kent Building Supplies (go figure!)
The plants are well cared for, and the selection is great. 
I chose two types of cactus and two succulents.  I used cactus soil, not regular potting soil.

The creation came together really quickly, but I did end up with some cactus prickles in my fingertips.  I added a few sea shells.

The container and saucer were the  most expensive part of this project, and with the plants and soil, it cost about $50.  Steep, but quite lovely.

Terracotta is porous and does not hold moisture like plastic does.  So I water it twice a week.

A few weeks after planting, the  Echeveria rewarded me with a lovely flowering spike of delicate yellow flowers.  Really pretty!

2 comments:

I love hearing from other bloggers!