Thursday, November 11, 2010

Life persists


It's been raining like crazy every day for a week, and we noticed that water coming off the roof was not running though the evestrough but right over the side. Today the sun shone fitfully, and I prodded my husband Wayne to check out the situation, with the promise that I wouldn't make him do anything else for the rest of the day. (A hard promise to keep!)
He climbed to the top of the ladder only to discover a weed growing out of the seam of a tubular evestrough!
After much unscrewing of sections of evestrough, he discovered the insides were packed full of dead leaves, evergreen needles, and bits of roof. It had decomposed into lovely dark compost that was fertile territory for this weed.
And of course the compost was blocking the rain from going down where it needed to go.
I felt a bit of a pang as I dug out the weed and tossed it away. Against all odds, this plant sprang from a seed that just happened to end up in a section of sealed evestroughing that separated enough to provide some light. This is a pretty inhospitable enviroment, even for a weed. Yet after this brave effort, it is still at our mercy. It's not easy being green.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Heidi: plants are an amazing thing - I've seen them sprouting from all sorts of impossible places. When we all disappear plants will take over the earth again, I'm sure. Weather looks pretty good on the island still:)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other bloggers!