Wednesday, October 17, 2018

blue jay wants a peanut

Last week, I was washing the dishes when a blue jay repeatedly beat its wings against the window where I was standing.  This morning, I was having breakfast when a blue jay perched on the thermometer outside the window where I was sitting.

I immediately knew what it wanted:  peanuts and lots of them.
It must have a very long memory, because I had not fed them since last winter.

I grabbed the bag of peanuts and tossed some on the frosty glass table top.  The birds landed with a skid on the slippery surface, but it took no time at all for the crowd to make off with every one.

I have been feeding the birds for years, but this is the first time the jays have communicated  their hunger with me.

So yes, they are demanding and bold, but I still like the idea that they trust me.  I laugh every time they pick up a small peanut, only to reject it for a larger one, or try unsuccessfully to fly away with two.  The entertainment is worth the bird harassment!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!