Thursday, October 18, 2018

mystery plant

















This guy magically appeared in my back yard, right against the foundation.
It's huge - almost 3 feet across.
I have never seen anything like it.
I have posted it on facebook and asked the Garden Club, but no answers.
The leaves are rough, scratchy, dull, and smell bad when you pick one.

Here is one leaf, almost 20 inches long!

I plan to wait till next spring, when I hope it will bloom, which will make identification easier.


Now it's July 2019, and the plant has taken off.  The leaves seem more pointy, and they are smaller than last year, but the whole plant is about 3 feet tall, with purple stems.
I need to wait for the flowers to open, which I hope will make it easier to identify.
I went away for 2 weeks, and when I got back, the plant was just a brown twisted stem on the ground.  I never did get to see the open flowers, and I am still in the dark as to what it was.  One thing it is not:  invasive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!