Wednesday, October 17, 2018

potato bonanza

I have never grown potatos before.  Some volunteers come up occasionally, and are immediately attacked by potato bugs.  But this year I purchased some special coloured seed potatoes brought from the Andes by a world traveler.

I thought I would try growing them in a special potato bag.  this way, all those little guys are corralled into a small space, and I don't have to go digging for them.  The bag was on my deck, and the sprouts were really pretty all summer, until the plant started to mature and die back.

I watered the plant like I would any other, and no potato bugs found it!
















I lugged the very heavy bag out to the vegetable garden, dumped it out, and opened a door on the side of the bag to find my booty.
Out popped a great variety of spuds, from the size of marbles to the length of my finger.  And the colours:  dark purple, white, speckled pink and white.














The soil left behind goes on the veggie garden.















I started with six spuds, and ended up with 75. 
A pretty good haul!

I will let them dry on the newspaper for a few days before putting them in a dark cool spot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!