Thursday, September 17, 2015

a walk at Port La Joye - Fort Amherst

My job has been downsized to working four days a week.  After getting over the shock, I decided to get some fun out of my mandated time off.  So I joined the Seniors College (alas - I'm over 50) hiking club.
The first week, we carpooled to Port Lajoie, across the harbour from Charlottetown.  It is the spot where 300 years ago the Acadian people were deported back to France by the British.  Their lands and possessions were confiscated, and British settlers moved in.  Meanwhile, many of the Acadiens perished on rickety boats.  Some went to the southern US - "Cajun" is actually a twist on the original "Acadien".


 The spot is high on a hill, with earthworks for protecting soldiers during an attack that never came.  It is a lovely, lonely spot with 5 m of walking paths.  The day we were there, a giant cruise ship was docked in Charlottetown Harbour.

These two range lights helped sailors navigate the harbour and avoid the rocks.














Along the way were yellow spotted mushrooms that looked like something out of a fairy tale.
After a bit of research, it looks like it may be Amanita amerimuscaria, var. guessowii.
It is usually found under evergreen trees.
Supposedly, it's a mild haleucinagenic.  No thanks.  I have enough trouble dealing with reality!









Wild fall asters





crossing a bridge

this is a spot I will come back to again.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely spot. I was there last year with my daughter.
    Hard to imagine such pain happened long ago in such a beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other bloggers!