Tuesday, September 15, 2015

the carrot harvest

I have a big garden in my back yard, so why do I need a plot at the local community garden?
My first reason was carrots.  After spending up to $30 for carrot seeds and getting maybe three or four actual carrots, the economics didn't look good.  So I decided to try another locale, a patch at the Legacy Garden, behind the Farm Centre on University Avenue in Charlottetown.  My carrots have been amazing for two years in a row.
But the unexpected reason why I keep coming back to the Legacy Garden is the sense of community.  There is always someone in the garden to talk to.  We compare notes, growing experiences, and bragging rights. It's fun to see what others are planting, and there is also a sense of competition:  whose carrots are taller? Whose lettuce is greener?


Heidi's garden patch:  carrots, tomatoes, redbore kale,
and sunflowers that came up from seed dropped last year.
I love it when that happens!

Husband Wayne helps with the carrot harvest.
A cornicopia of carrots


three colours of carrots have twisted around each other.




1 comment:

I love hearing from other bloggers!