Tuesday, September 15, 2015

terrific tomatoes

After two years of crop failures due to late blight, I purchased blight-resistant tomato seeds from Veseys seeds. Three varieies:  Mountain Merit, a large determinate, Defiant, a medium-size determinant, and Mountain Magic, a large cherry tomato, have a few dry leaves, but show no sign of disease.
And they smell wonderful and taste even better!


We don't eat much salsa, so I made a whole bunch of sauce.  I just put them through the food processor, skins and all, boiled the pulp for 20 minutes, added a few teaspoons of coarse salt, and bottled them.  Now I have enough sauce to last me though the winter whenever I want to make vegetable soup or chili!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Mom would be proud of you! Those jars remind me of the boxes of jarred tomatoes that ended up in my basement when Mom moved to Ottawa. I used them judiciously and was sad when the last jar was used.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from other bloggers!