Wednesday, September 23, 2015

flowers pop up in the funniest places

I'm not crazy about weeding.  So I just pull what I recognize as being a problem, and I leave the mystery plants that pop up.  Sometimes I get some real beauties.
This tiny sunflower must have been plantedby a bird that dropped a seed.  





A wild mallow popped up close to the garage.  It is a very inhospitable spot, close to the garage, under a big rock and up against the driveway.  I plan to collect some seeds and try my luck with this plant next year.  It would be funny if it refuses to grow when I try to baby it in good soil.


On either end of this flower bed are pale purple wild asters.  If I were a faithful weeder,
I would have missed watching the bees going crazy on the tiny perfect flowers.


Every year, the parsley come back in waves.  It's a biannual, so there are usually one-year seedligs and two-year plants producing seeds growing at the same time.  This past winter was very cold with no snow cover for the first half, and all the parent plants died (as well as roses and butterfly bush).  But the seeds survived just fine, and now there is a new wave of parsley plants that will produce seed next year.  I don't have the heart to pull it all out, even though it's crowding the walking path.


I didn't plant these two pink petunias.  They are notoriously hard to start from seed, even inside.
So it's some kind of miracle that they somehow reseeded and are thriving in the garden.

The seedum spilling out onto the driveway has its origins in a tiny crack between the wooden beams 
and the driveway.  An inhospitable spot if I ever saw one.  Yet it is happily lending a soft edge to an otherwise barren spot.  We wanted to get our drivway re-paved, but I put it off because the sedum would have been destroyed.


Annual poppies came up beside the Jerusalem artichoke.  
Don't know where they came from, but I'm saving seeds to scatter elsewhere.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from other bloggers!